Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
Fairfield University, B.A. cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Anthony F. Cavanaugh
Anthony Cavanaugh is a partner in the Firm’s Bethesda office and is a member of the Firm’s Commercial Litigation and Real Estate practice groups. Mr. Cavanaugh's practice focuses on representing clients in complex commercial litigation in the real estate and hospitality industries, including evaluating and litigating disputes with management companies, franchisors, tenants, lenders, and vendors. Mr. Cavanaugh has handled litigation and arbitration involving valuation issues, the enforcement and termination of management agreements, complex leases, and issues of fraud, breach of contract, fiduciary duty, accounting, cost allocations, unfair trade practices, personal services and agency.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Cavanaugh represents clients in the negotiation of hotel management contracts, asset management, and evaluation of hotel and commercial property operations.
Mr. Cavanaugh also has handled cases involving toxic tort litigation, including the defense of a leading chemical manufacturer in a series of medical monitoring class actions. He also has represented manufacturers and distributors of military supplies in commercial disputes.
- Represented a hotel owner in state court litigation arising out of manager’s breach of the hotel’s management agreement and its fiduciary duties, and was successful in obtaining a declaration from the court that the hotel owner had the power to terminate the hotel operator at will based on a personal services theory;
- Represented a hotel owner in negotiating a beneficial termination of a franchise agreement with a major hotel operator;
- Represented a property owner in a federal court litigation against its ground lease tenant regarding tenant’s failure to pay rent;
- Represented a property owner in a federal court litigation with its tenants arising out of a planned renovation;
- Represented a major engineering firm in resolving a dispute with their real estate broker and property manager; and
- Represented a local restaurant chain in negotiating a favorable lease termination with its landlord, the United States Office of Comptroller of the Currency.
- Represented a corporation that prepares and administers educational testing in a dispute with its software vendor;
- Represented a government contractor in negotiating agreements with the U.S. Government to provide mobile capability to the United States Navy; and
- Represented a government contractor in a dispute with a former affiliate regarding misappropriation of trade secrets and other confidential information.
Honors & Distinctions
- 2013 and 2014 Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation
- Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer, LLP 2014-2016
- Steptoe & Johnson, LLP 2002-2014
- Co-Author "Key Legal Issues: The Battle for Control"Chapter for the Third Edition of Hotel Asset Management and Principles & Practices published by the American Hotel & Lodging Association's Educational Institute
- Co-Author "Key Legal Issues"Chapter for the Fifth Edition of Hotel Investments: Issues & Perspectives published by the American Hotel & Lodging Association's Educational Institute
- The Pendulum Swings: Survey of Management Agreement Litigation2014 Hospitality Law Conference, Houston, TX
- The Limits of Insurance in Managing Hotel CyberriskFebruary 2014Hospitality Law360, Insurance Law360, Privacy Law360