Catholic University, J.D., 2006
Loyola University, B.S., 2001
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
R. Alex DuFour, II
Alex is a partner in Linowes and Blocher’s Bethesda office, a member of the firm’s Real Estate Transactions Practice and is on the firm’s Management Committee. He brings more than a decade of experience to representing developers, public and private property owners, investors, private equity funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs), lenders, and other parties in transactions throughout Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and the entire East Coast region.
Alex’s practice includes structuring and negotiating acquisitions, sales, land development and project financing and refinancing agreements. From pre-transaction due diligence to closing, he serves clients at all stages of the deal-making process. His experience in a large number of complex and high-profile transactions allows him to see all sides of a negotiation, identify potential issues, and offer creative solutions that mitigate his clients’ risk while keeping their deals moving forward.
Alex partners with his clients, working closely with them to understand their priorities and evaluate individual deals in the broader context of their long-term goals. He takes pride in providing responsive service and helping to facilitate deals rather than holding them up. Alex brings a personable approach to complex transactions, helping to solidify clients’ relationships while avoiding unwarranted hostility, and focuses on conducting productive negotiations that protect his clients’ interests.
Alex is involved in several local and regional real estate industry groups and is an active volunteer in the Montgomery County community. He has moderated and spoken on multiple panels covering issues in the areas of real estate law and capital markets, and he was recognized as a Maryland Super Lawyer in 2016.
- Represented the owner in the sale of a $225 million retail center in Virginia
- Represented the lender in completion with three separate financings for the Wharf development – the largest private development in Washington, D.C.
- Represented purchaser of Munson Hills, a $70 million apartment building in Virginia
- Represented a private developer in connection with a $172 million loan secured by an office complex in Montgomery County, leased to the GSA
- Represented a private developer in connection with the acquisition of a former auto dealership in Northern Virginia and a $65 million construction loan for the purpose of redevelopment into a mixed-use project consisting of multifamily, and retail uses
- Represented a real estate private equity fund in connection with the $76.5 million refinancing of a medical office facility in Frederick, Maryland
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in connection with the $69 million refinancing of an office building in Montgomery County
- Represented a private developer in connection with construction financing of $47 million to build multifamily housing in Prince George’s County
- Represented a private developer in connection with a $41 million first trust loan from RBS Citizens and a $5 million second trust loan from Montgomery County for the development and construction of a class-A multi-family project in Wheaton
- Represented a lender in connection with a $60 million construction loan for a class-A multi-family project in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a lender in connection with a $21 million construction loan for the rehabilitation of a historic factory in Washington, D.C., to be converted into mixed office and retail uses
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in connection with the acquisition of two office buildings in Columbia, Maryland, for $16 million and the assumption of existing loans
- Represented a private real estate owner in connection with the recapitalization of a multi-jurisdictional medical office portfolio with a life insurance company
- Represented a real estate private equity fund in connection with a note purchase and subsequent acquisition of a mixed-use facility in Durham, North Carolina
Honors & Distinctions
- Maryland Super Lawyers, 2016
- Linowes and Blocher LLP, Associate, 2011-2012, Partner, 2013-present
- Sutherland Asbill and Brennan LLP, Associate, 2005–2011
- Bingham McCutchen, Law Clerk, 2005
- December 10, 2015
- January 16, 2015
- December 17, 2013
- March 28, 2011Press Release
- September 19, 2014
- January 16, 2015
- Past real estate panelist for Catholic Business Network of Montgomery CountyNovember 9, 2012
- Past real estate panelist for Loyola University Maryland Alumni Association of Washington, D.C.November 1, 2012
Affiliations & Community Involvement
- Urban Land Institute, member and multiyear participant in Young Leaders Group
- The Real Estate Group, member
- District of Columbia Builder's Industry Association, member
- NAIOP, member
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington, Montgomery County, board member
- Fathers of Daughters Club of Washington DC, Co-Founder and President
- Catholic Charities, Enzler Society – Founding Member
- John Carroll Society, past board member
- Everybody Wins!, Past Reading Tutor at Thompson Elementary School