Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Stephen Z. Kaufman
Stephen Z. Kaufman is Senior Partner Emeritus of the firm and concentrates in the areas of municipal law, land use and eminent domain. Mr. Kaufman represents many private and publicly owned development, financial and retail companies throughout the Baltimore/Washington region. He lectures and writes extensively and has authored legislation in the areas of adequate public facilities, infrastructure finance, and zoning and land use classifications (including: planned development zones, transfer of development rights, Development Finance Districts, and moderate cost housing).
Mr. Kaufman was an adjunct professor of law at the George Washington Law Center for Land Use and Planning (1980-87); he also served on the Subcommittee on the Revision of Planning and Zoning Legislation for the State of Maryland, the Real Estate Advisor Group of the Maryland Department of Transportation, currently he serves on the ULI Public Development and Infrastructure Council, was recently the Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Montgomery College and now serves on the Montgomery College Life Science Park Foundation Board of Directors. He also serves on the University of Baltimore Law School Advisory Board and the Board of Directors of the Olney Theatre Center for the Arts.
Mr. Kaufman joined the Board of The Community Foundation for Montgomery County (an advisory board of The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region) in 2013.
Discovery Communication World Headquarters Complex, Silver Spring, Maryland
Avenel PUD and PGA Tournament Players Club, Potomac, Maryland
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration ("NOAA") Consolidation and national headquarters, Silver Spring, Maryland
The Olney and Clarksburg New Town Center Mixed Use PUDs
Giant Food Company's Montrose Crossing, Burtonsville and Germantown retail and residential PUDs, Montgomery County, Maryland
The Greens highrise residential complex at Leisure World for IDI Maryland, Inc., Montgomery County, Maryland
West Germantown and Clarksburg Town Center Infrastructure Development Districts, Germantown and Clarksburg, Maryland
Drafted first moderate priced dwelling unit legislation in the U.S. while Assistant County Attorney for Montgomery County, Maryland.
Helped develop several zoning regulatory tools in cooperation with the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and the Montgomery County Government, including:
Montgomery County's Agricultural Preservation and Transfer Development Rights (TDR) enabling legislation, as well as zoning categories to be applied to both sending and receiving areas.
Assisted Montgomery County Government in the creation of state and local enabling authority to facilitate creation of Special Development Taxing Districts in order to provide a funding mechanism utilizing municipal revenue bonds to construct public infrastructure such as roads, sewer and water facilities, and provide capital funds for schools and park facilities.
Assisted Montgomery County Government (from time-to-time) to develop strategies and tools to implement growth management techniques in connection with the County's Annual Growth Policy (AGP) and Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance (APFO).
Honors & Distinctions
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Selected as a Maryland Super Lawyer for 2012 by Super Lawyers
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012
- Selected as one of Maryland's Super Lawyers for 2011 by Super Lawyers
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated; highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected as one of the Super Lawyers for 2010 by Super Lawyers
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America for 2010 by Best Lawyers
- Selected as one of Washington D.C.'s Best Lawyers for 2009 as seen in the Washington Post, by Best Lawyers
- Selected as one of Washington, D.C.'s Super Lawyers for 2009 by Super Lawyers
- Selected as Legal Elite by Washington SmartCEO, December 2009
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America for 2008 by Best Lawyers
- "Greater Washington Legal Elite," Washington SmartCEO, August 2005
- "Maryland Super Lawyer," Law & Politics, 2007
Affiliations & Community Involvement
American Planning Association, Member, Panel on Agricultural Preservation
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Member
Maryland Chamber of Commerce
Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce, Member
- President 1983-1984
Urban Land Institute, Full Member
- Instructor, seminars dealing with land use regulation and inverse condemnation
- Public Development and Infrastructure Council
Chairman, Legal Ethics Committee
Member, Fee Arbitration Committee
Chairman, Administrative Law Committee