University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1973
University of Virginia, B.A., 1968
Bar & Court Admissions
Walter S.B. Childs
Walter S.B. Childs, a Partner in the firm's Annapolis, Maryland office, has over thirty-seven years experience in litigation, estate planning and estate administration services. Upon passing the Maryland Bar, he joined the staff of the Office of the State's Attorney for Anne Arundel County, serving as a prosecutor, first in the juvenile court and thereafter in the District and Circuit Courts. In 1975, he joined a private firm in Annapolis specializing in insurance defense litigation. He has appeared for clients in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, Circuit Courts for Baltimore City, Anne Arundel, Prince George's, Queen Anne's, Howard, Montgomery, Carroll, Calvert, Allegany, Wicomico, Talbot, Caroline and Baltimore Counties.
Mr. Childs' law practice is general in nature with an emphasis in estate planning and estate administration services. The estate planning and estate administration services involve administration of estates and trusts of all sizes throughout Maryland and, as necessary, coordinating administration of estates in other states when property of a Maryland decedent happens to be located in another state. This work involves the opening, administration and closing of estates, administering trusts, and dealing with accountants in the preparation of a decedent's income tax returns as well as fiduciary income tax returns and Maryland and Federal estate tax returns. Not infrequently, this work also includes the sale of real property held by an estate as well as litigation in connection with the administration of an estate.
Mr. Child's heads the estate planning and estate administration services practice group. He is frequently appointed by the Courts of Maryland to administer estates which involve issues the average practitioner may have difficulty addressing or where there is no family member available or willing to perform the necessary estate administration services.
Since middle 1970's Mr. Childs has represented Admiral, Inc., a family run laundry business dealing with commercial leases, employment matters, litigation, corporate mergers and acquisitions.
As founding President of the Anne Arundel County Bar Foundation, Inc., Mr. Childs established and organized this non-profit/tax exempt organization and secured funding for its initial year of operation.
Served as Chair of the Maryland State Bar Committee on Ethics for the term, June 1995 - May 1996.
Served as Chair of the Review Board of the Attorney Grievance Committee for the term, June 1999 - May 2000
Honors & Distinctions
- Appointed as a trustee of the Client Protection Fund of the Bar of Maryland to serve a 7 year term beginning July 1, 2013
- Selected as one of Maryland's Super Lawyers for 2011 by Super Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated; highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected as one of the Super Lawyers for 2010 by Super Lawyers
- Nominated, June 1991 for Peoples Pro Bono Award at the State Bar Annual Convention
- Edwin A. Lechowicz Memorial Award for Professionalism and Civility, Anne Arundel County Bar Association, 2001
- Linowes and Blocher LLP, Partner, 1994 - Present
- Blumenthal, Wayson, Offutt, Klos & Delavan, P.A ., Partner, 1990 - 1994
- Carmody, Childs & Flood, Partner, 1982 - 1990
- Serio, Carmody & Childs, Partner, 1978 - 1982
- Serio, Hopper, Carmody & Nichols, Associate, 1975 - 1978
- Anne Arundel County Office of the State's Attorney, Assistant State's Attorney, 1973 - 1975
- May 12, 2014
- May 31, 2012What's Up? Annapolis
- December 16, 2010Press Release
Affiliations & Community Involvement
Maryland State Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Past-Chair, Grievance Commission Review Board
- Past-Chair, Committee on Ethics
- Past-Chair, Committee on Continuing Legal Education
- Special Committee on the Rules of Professional Conduct; Faculty Member of MSBA Professionalism Course
- Special Committee on the Centennial of the Bar, Subcommittee Chair; Anne Arundel County representative on The Court of Appeals Task Force on Professionalism
Maryland Bar Foundation Fellow, Past Member, Legal Excellence Awards Committee
Anne Arundel County Bar Association
- Past President; Treasurer; Trustee
- Chair, Courthouse Relations Committee
- Chair, Pro Bono Committee
Anne Arundel County Bar Foundation
- Founding President
YMCA - Annapolis Branch, Past Member, Board of Management
Annapolis Rotary Club, Treasurer, Paul Harris Fellow
Anne Arundel County Public Library
- Executive Committee Member
- Member of the Board of Trustees
Annapolis Community Foundation Past Board Member
Anne Arundel Medical Center Charitable Gift Planning Advisory Committee, Member
Hammand Harwood House, Board Member, 2012-2014