Commercial Debtor Representation
Out of court restructurings
Out of court wind-downs
Distressed Asset Acquisitions/Disposition
Assignments for Benefit of Creditors
Distressed Asset Litigation
Linowes and Blocher LLP’s bankruptcy attorneys have extensive experience representing clients in all aspects of distressed scenarios. Our bankruptcy team regularly represents creditors, debtors, creditors’ committees and interested parties, such as distressed asset purchasers, in bankruptcy courts across the mid-Atlantic region including Maryland, District of Columbia and Virginia.
Linowes and Blocher LLP bankruptcy attorneys also regularly appear in state and federal courts outside of the bankruptcy realm on matters that involve insolvency and distressed assets such as receiverships, foreclosures and arbitration and mediation.
When court proceedings can be avoided, our team members are also highly effective negotiators who are able to broker settlements and out-of-court solutions to complex problems.
Our bankruptcy team represents national and regional banks, investors, commercial landlords and REITS, developers, venture capitalists, and other claimants who desire to enforce claims against debtors, guarantors, tenants and other obligors. We collaborate with our real estate lawyers to represent secured lenders and developers in restructuring many troubled real estate projects. Our strong real estate background has given us special skills in lender liability, foreclosures and other real estate-related work.
Distressed Asset Solutions
Our bankruptcy team is known for developing innovative strategies to optimize and protect our clients’ asset portfolios. Our experience and unique skill set also benefit investors seeking advice on the acquisition of distressed assets. Linowes and Blocher LLP is well-positioned to combine high-quality legal solutions with competitive pricing and value.
We counsel clients on all aspects of distressed property transactions, including:
- Formation of acquiring entities
- In-and out-of-court restructurings
- Establishing relationships with existing lenders and borrowers
- Pre-packaged, pre-negotiated, voluntary and involuntary bankruptcies
- Project-associated litigation
- Equity capitalization
- Asset sales
- Loan purchase
- Property and land use diligence and closings
As the go-to law firm for regional commercial real estate transactions, our clients routinely turn to us for advice on non-performing loans and other distressed investments. The bankruptcy team provides creative insights and solutions for all issues relating to distressed property.
Our team has extensive experience in:
- Developing strategies to turn around failing assets, including rehabilitation of fractured condominiums, asset sales, re-zoning and permitting for expanded uses, lease amendments and drafting, negotiating and implementing comprehensive loan modifications
- Representing secured creditors, including drafting and negotiating mortgages and mezzanine-level asset-backed loans, all aspects of loan purchases and sales and disposition
- Enforcing non-performing loans through receivership and foreclosures
- Representing developers and lenders in all aspects of bankruptcy, including cash collateral, automatic stay and adversary proceedings, pre-packaged bankruptcies, 363 asset sales, plans and other related matters
- Acquiring and developing distressed properties, including residential development property, multi-family housing, office buildings and retail projects
- Advising, negotiating, drafting and implementing all aspects of “friendly” foreclosures, including cooperation agreements, deed-in-lieu agreements, profit assignments, joint ventures and property management agreements
- Providing analysis and opinions on substantive consolidation of affiliated entities for bankruptcy purposes.