- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert L. Karwacki, Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1993-1994
University of Baltimore, J.D., 1993, cum laude
University of Maryland, B.S., 1988
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
William W. Riggins, III
William “Bill” Riggins is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Transactions Practice, concentrating primarily in the areas of real estate acquisition, development, and finance. Bill combines a business sensibility with his transactions counsel, allowing him to understand the goals of his clients and bring their deals to fruition with practical, results-oriented advice.
Bill provides experienced comprehensive counsel in the areas of real estate deal structuring, financing, due diligence, ground leasing, development agreements, covenants, easements, and construction contracts for all asset types, including multi-family, office, retail, industrial, flex, educational, and mixed-use projects. He represents local and regional financial institutions in negotiating, documenting and closing real estate-secured acquisition, development, construction, and permanent loans. His clients include real estate developers, investors, homebuilders, banks, pension funds, energy developers, construction companies, and nonprofit organizations.
Bill’s experience gives him the ability to anticipate and avoid problems before they occur, while developing innovative solutions that keep transactions on pace for completion in the event issues do arise. He focuses on responsive, value-oriented client service, using his strong listening skills to understand fully what is most important to the client and tailor his representation and negotiations appropriately.
Bill's work has included representing the developer in the development and sale of a 200-acre office park; acquisition, financing, and development of numerous residential and mixed-use projects; structuring and drafting REAs for mixed-use urban projects; site acquisition for a national retailer and a national bank; acquisition, financing, and sale of office buildings, warehouses, and multi-family projects; negotiating ground leases for office buildings and a discount department store; due diligence, acquisition, financing, and development of a 725 MW gas-fired power plant and a 50 MW wind farm; and design and construction contracts for corporate headquarters, maintenance facilities, schools, churches, and tenant build-outs. Bill has also represented buyers of distressed real estate in purchasing nonperforming loans and foreclosing on the underlying assets.
Bill serves clients in Maryland’s Montgomery, Prince George’s, Howard, Anne Arundel, Frederick, and Charles counties, as well as in Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia. He has extensive knowledge of the laws and regulations governing real estate in his region, including the Montgomery County Right of First Refusal law (ROFR), District of Columbia Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA), Maryland Condominium Act, and District of Columbia Condominium Act. He advises buyers of Maryland and D.C. multi-family projects on tenant purchase rights, county purchase rights, and condominium conversion requirements, as well as representing commercial and residential developers in all aspects of the planning, creation, and operation of commercial and residential property owner associations and condominiums, including shelf condominiums, land condominiums, and senior housing communities.
- Represented NVR in the acquisition of Cabin Branch, Clarksburg, Maryland
- Represented NVR in the acquisition of Oak Creek, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
- Represented NVR in the acquisition and development of Greenbelt Station – South Core
- Represented Competitive Power Ventures in the acquisition and development of the CPV St. Charles Energy Center
- Represented Westbrook in the acquisition and development of Crown Farm
- Represented Old Line Bank on the acquisition and construction loan for Nelson Kohl Apartments, Baltimore
- Represented Wormald Companies in the acquisition of Cascades View, Sterling, Virginia
- Represented Chevy Chase Bank in the development and sale of Westview South, Frederick, Maryland
- Represented Howard Hughes Corp. on an affordable housing agreement with Howard County
- Represented seller on the sale and take-back financing of 1,660 acres in Brevard County, Florida
- Represented First Potomac in the acquisition of a D.C. office building
- Linowes and Blocher LLP, Partner, 2004–present
- Linowes and Blocher LLP, Associate, 1998–2003
- Furey, Doolan & Abell LLP, Associate, 1994–1998
- University of Baltimore Law Review, Associate Editor, 1992–1993
Affiliations & Community Involvement
District of Columbia Bar Association
- Committee on Real Property
Maryland State Bar Association
Montgomery County Bar Association
District of Columbia Building Industry Association
- Housing Committee