The representation of condominium associations, homeowners associations and cooperatives and their Board of Directors presents unique challenges that require the varied experience of our attorneys. Today’s current business and regulatory climate requires that our community association attorneys understand the impact of new local, state and federal laws; work with Boards to draft practical solutions affecting Board operations and administration; and aggressively pursue collection of delinquent accounts despite bank short sales and foreclosures. Our attorneys have experience drafting governing documents and working with developers which provides us with a unique perspective to assist in the interpretation of such governing documents and providing practical advice.
We advise community associations on a broad range of issues, including:
- Interpretations of governing documents
- Review and preparation of Board policies, procedures and rules and regulations
- Submission of FHA certifications
- Compliance with local, state and federal laws
- Collection of delinquent assessments
- Architectural and covenant enforcement
- Transition from developer control
- Litigation and arbitration/mediation in Maryland, D.C. and Virginia courts and administrative bodies
- Address tax and business issues in establishing home owners and condominium associations
We are strong leaders in the community association field who have the ability to utilize the broad based experiences of our firm’s other practice groups to successfully confront and resolve any community association issue, including our firm’s Land Use/Zoning, Bankruptcy/Business Controversy, Environmental and Real Estate Transactional Practice Groups.