Association Governance and Operations
Governing Documents Amendments
Rules and Regulations
Fair Housing Compliance
AIA Contracts Review
Linowes and Blocher LLP’s Condo/HOA Practice Group is an industry leader in all aspects of planned community development. We represent developers and community association boards in a variety of planned community developments, from straight-forward residential condominiums to multifaceted new urbanism/urban infill projects involving public-private partnerships.
Linowes and Blocher LLP’s Condo/HOA Practice Group utilizes creative and innovative ideas in drafting complex documentation for residential, office, retail, mixed-use and multi-family developments, often involving the use of sophisticated land condominiums and air rights parcels. We provide a unique legal experience that includes structuring associations and cost sharing arrangements for large planned community and commercial developments, while preserving the needs of our developer clients. We also advise planned community associations in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia after they are formed and operational, using our expertise in the formation of these associations to help boards enforce their provisions and defend claims.
Real Estate Development
On behalf of our developer clients we:
- Develop an optimal common interest association structure to create maximum value, insure flexibility, and be mindful of liability issues
- Prepare documentation to establish and operate residential, commercial, mixed-use planned communities, including, condominiums, community associations, mixed-use communities, multi-family communities, business parks, merchant associations, and master planned communities
- Create opportunities and enhance value by establishing non-traditional associations such as land condominiums, marina condominiums, multi-tiered condominiums, and non-profit associations
- Prepare and register public offering statements for condominiums
- Compile disclosure statements for residential community associations
On behalf of community association clients we:
- Provide legal representation related to governance, assessment collection and operations, management and maintenance of the association
- Handle litigation and arbitration/mediation in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia courts and administrative bodies, including, foreclosure of liens for non-payment of assessments, architectural/covenant enforcement, and violations of rules, regulations, covenants, restrictions and state and local laws
- Provide legal advice in connection with distressed and fractured planned communities
- Help assure compliance pursuant to local and federal laws and regulations such as the Fair Housing Act, HUD, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
In addition to ensuring that all applicable laws and regulations are addressed, we take a proactive approach to help minimize future claims against developers, builders and community associations. We not only carefully draft the governing documents for common interest projects, but also pursue legislative initiatives to reduce the cost and potential liability associated with developing and financing these projects. Our experience provides us with the ability to anticipate problems and take steps to prevent them. In addition, our many years of experience in drafting documents for hundreds of common interest projects provides us with unique insights that assist us in our representation of the governing bodies of these communities.